Things I Learned – Social Media Series
You may be asking – what is a CTA? According to AdEspresso, there are two main purposes of a call to action: to tell someone what they should do, and give them the motivation to do so.
You have to remember that the whole purpose of your Instagram bio is to prompt a follow (“follow us for the latest videos”) and to direct someone off site (“visit our site for 10% off”). The Call To Action needs to be concise and direct so that people perform the action requested.
According to OptinMonster, here are the key steps in writing a Call To Action:
- Know what single action you want people to take. That’s your conversion goal.
- Identify the key benefit they will get.
- Use action words to specify the action they need to perform.
- Be human. Address visitors directly as “you” or use the first person so they feel included.
- Keep it short, but long enough so people know what to do and what they will get as a result.
- Remove the risk, so there’s no barrier to taking action.
- Provide an incentive, like a freebie.
- Encourage instant response by using scarcity words.
- Put your CTA in the right place, and test to make sure it works.
Your Call To Action can be the difference between someone being interested enough to follow through to your action and someone who leaves because it didn’t entice them enough. This is pretty much the last step to setting up and optimizing your Instagram profile but it is definitely one of the most important. Without an effective Call To Action, your Instagram page isn’t serving its purpose, so make sure it is direct, concise and actionable or you may miss out on new business.