« Return to Blogs

Existing Home Sales Increase

 Existing home sales for October rose to 4.97 million, a 1.4% increase from September, and a 13.5% increase from October 2010. An additional positive sign is the decline in the number of homes on the market. Total inventory for October fell 2.2% from September. This represents an 8.0 month supply at the current sales pace, down from 8.3 months in September. 


Existing Home Sales is a measure of the selling rate of pre-owned single-family homes, collected by the National Association of Realtors from 650 realtor associations. Sales of existing (or pre-owned) houses account for roughly 84% of all houses sold. Sales of new houses account for the other 16%. Simply put, the volume of sales indicates housing demand.